4Brain is a multidisciplinary research group at Ghent University and the Department of Neurology of Ghent University Hospital. Neuroscientists within 4Brain focus on translational neuroscience in epilepsy, stroke, multiple sclerosis, and neurodegenerative and cognitive problems.
Since more than 10 years Prof. Dr. Paul Boon, programme director and founder of 4Brain and chairman of the Department of Neurology at Ghent University Hospital has developed an ongoing brain health cooperation with Dr. Fidele Sebera, medical director of CARAES neuropsychiatric hospital Ndera, Rwanda as well as several other Rwandan partners, e.g., Ministry of Health, King Faisal Hospital, several district hospitals and the Brothers of Charity.
In light of several ongoing projects within the North-South cooperation, our team is currently looking for volunteers to assist in several ways during ongoing projects.
The task of a volunteer is very diverse: from logistical support during preparation of research projects to assisting the medical team during their outreach in rural areas.
Do you speak English and French fluently, do you want to make a meaningful contribution to improving health care access in Rwanda and are you open to the Rwandan culture?
Then contact the 4Brain research group and step into their project as a volunteer. Volunteers generally work 5 days a week; however flexibility is required as the volunteers should be willing to work according to the requirements of ongoing projects. There is enough free time outside of working hours to explore Rwanda.
- You have a diploma of higher secondary education (ASO, TSO, BSO 7th year) and an academic Bachelor degree or higher. A medical background of some kind is an asset, but not an absolute requirement.
- You are able to use a PC.
- You have a valid international drivers license
- You have good communication skills.
- You are teamoriented and stress resistant.
- You have a sense of initiative and you are solutionoriented.
- Your work is accurate, planned and structured.
- You have a great sense of responsibility.
- You integrate smoothly into a new work environment.
We are looking for volunteers who are available from September/October 2022 onwards. A minimum period of 3 months is required.
4Brain and its ongoing international cooperation offer a professional, multidisciplinary work environment where there is plenty of room for training, coaching and personal growth. Reimbursement of travel costs and accommodation is offered.